Re: Relocating undo tablespace

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Mar 2006 05:35:34 -0800

Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 17:08:53 -0800, Mark D Powell wrote:
>
> > I would copy rather than move the file. Then once the database is
> > successfully opened I would remove the old file. Might as well play it
> > extra safe.
>
> Rename file will require both the old and the new one to be
> present. If "mv" is used, he'll have to re-create control file.
>
> --
> http://www.mgogala.com

Mmm ... don't think so. My understanding is ALTER DATABASE RENAME ... is simply making the necessary change in the control file -- while the file is offline to the DB.. Doesn't matter if, at the OS level -- and wile the file is offline to the DB --- you 'move' the file or 'copy' the file. Received on Wed Mar 08 2006 - 07:35:34 CST