Relocating undo tablespace

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Mar 2006 16:38:51 -0800

Platform: Oracle 9.2.0.6 on Solaris 5.9

Hit a snag today on a box that holds two instances - one for dev, one for QA for the same app. Started getting alerts that two of the file systems had filled up. The SA had recently added a LUN to another disk group, so we created a couple of 'overflow' file systems there. One of the full FS's had normal data files, and I was able to relocate some of them to these new file systems on the other disk group. The other tablespace has only one of the control file mirrors, and the undo tablespace. I'm a little antsy about relocating that one. The procedure I used for the normal data files was:

1) offline the TS,
2) move the data file,
3) alter database rename file,
4) online  the TS

Doesn't seem like this would work for the one and only undo tablespace.  Am thinking of treating it like the system TS ..

  1. shutdown
  2. move the data file
  3. startup mount
  4. alter database rename file
  5. alter database open

Am I on track or getting ready to drive over a cliff? Received on Tue Mar 07 2006 - 18:38:51 CST