SQL Partition Clause

From: <amerar_at_iwc.net>
Date: 7 Mar 2006 11:55:54 -0800

Hey All,

I'm trying to understand the 'partition by' clause. I'm reading a bunch of webpages and they are showing examples and all. But when you come across say a function like SUM, you can easily form a mental picture of the rows being summed......

I'm trying to really see what 'parition by' does. I am not grasping how the function operates on the data......

If someone can provide a 'dummy' explanation, it might help.

Regards. Received on Tue Mar 07 2006 - 13:55:54 CST