Re: certification

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 09:20:15 -0800

GrahamJWalsh_at_gmail.com wrote:

> 1) Whats the best certification course to take for sybase/oracle. As a
> developer, not an administrator.

None. The certification is meaningless in almost all cases.

> 2) I know this is a oracle group, but I'd like to know if it's better
> to take Sybase certification instead of oracle. I've been told that
> sybase is on the back-foot while oracle is making new inroads in terms
> or market share in the *finance sector*. Would people agree with that?
> If yes, whats the best oracle developer certication exam to take?

www.drizzle.com
www.hotjobs.com

You tell us.

> 3) I am assuming that "certification" in sybase or oracle is the best
> way to go in terms of impressing prospective employers.

Not on my part of the planet. Here you'd starve to death looking for a Sybase job ... and an Oracle certificate wouldn't burn long enough to keep you warm.

The solution is to find a job where someone is migrating Sybase to Oracle and get deeply involved in all aspects of the project. Even if it takes you accepting a pay-cut to get the opportunity.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org