Re: Why use Java Stored Procedures....

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 10:54:25 -0600

On 2006-03-02, Bob Jones <email_at_me.not> wrote:

> "HansF" <News.Hans_at_telus.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 19:09:16 +0000, Gerry Atric wrote:
>>
>>> Miggins wrote:

[deletia]

>> If you did not take advantage of Oracle capabilities, you may be causing
>> performance issues that can easily result in the need to purchase
>> additional equipment and additional Oracle licenses. Thus creating the
>> perception that Oracle is expensive, even though the reason for the
>> expense is laziness or simple misuse of the environment for the sake of
>> 'independence'.
>>

>> Therefore, my belief is that using Java - if written properly (cost
>> effectively) - must be ported in the same sense as PL/SQL ... with
>> thought.
>>

> Would you rather have a Java programmer migrating Java stored procedures to
> a different database or have a PL/SQL programmer migrating PL/SQL stored
> procedures to a foreign language for a different database?

        I would take the latter. It seems far more likely that due reconsideration of the code for the new RDBMS would occur if it is more clear and obvious to everyone that the processes is infact a port.

        Although if you are supporting multiple platforms then it is likely far better to migrate to an external language and then port from there. I'd be wary of porting anything from one internal DBMS language to another.

--
...as if the ability to run Cubase ever made or broke a platform.
	                                                         / | \

                http://www.usenet.com