Re: Very slow sqlplus connect with 10G

From: Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid>
Date: 07 Mar 2006 08:08:41 GMT

Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> admin_at_loial.co.uk schrieb:

>> Have just installed Oracle 10G R2 on fedora linux box with 1 GB memory.
>>
>> It is VERY slow, i.e 15 seconds to connect with sqlplus from the linux
>> command line.
>>
>> Where do I start to find out why this is happening?

> If you mean the time to start sqlplus - there is a Note:338461.1 on
> Metalink which is though related to oci libraries in instant client
> sqlplus, however i had very similar behaviour ( strace shows times(NULL)
> in a loop ) with regular sqlplus on fedora. 10.2.0.2 seems to have
> resolved this problem ( as promised ).

I thought that the times(NULL) problem caused an endless loop, which would take longer than 15 seconds to finish even on a fast computer :^)

What I would do to find out what the heck is going on is a client trace.

Add the following lines to sqlplus.ora:

TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT=/tmp
TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT=SUPPORT After the next run of sqlplus you should have a large *.trc file in /tmp that contains every hiccup of the client.

strace, as mentioned by Maxim Demenko, is another tool to tell you what a program really does.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe Received on Tue Mar 07 2006 - 02:08:41 CST