Re: truncate /*+append*/

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 17:32:49 +0100

thomas.kyte_at_oracle.com wrote:
> Mladen Gogala wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 11:06:00 +0100, Holger Baer wrote:
>>

>>>According to the expert, no undo will be generated *IF USING NOLOGGING* option.
>>>Try to read and understand what you cite.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Holger
>>

> that is not what I've said - insert /*+ APPEND */ will bypass UNDO
> generation for the table data (but not any indexes on said table).
>
> It will bypass redo generation for the table (but never the indexes) IF
> the database is noarchivelog OR nologging has been set on the table,
> else full logging is performed for the table data (then there is that
> force logging that can affect this as well at the database level)
>
> undo to protect the dictionary (and redo) entries that are made to
> advance the high water mark will of course be generated.

Sorry for misquoting you, obviously I should follow the same advice that I give.

I was preparing a more concise follow-up, but since its not finished yet, and examples are missing too, this seems to be something for the weekend to investigate (so that I'll be able to remember that correctly).

Thanks for the well deserved correction

Holger Received on Fri Mar 03 2006 - 10:32:49 CST