Re: Python vs. PL/SQL for Oracle work

From: <dananrg_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Mar 2006 05:37:12 -0800

HansF wrote:
> While there are semi-legit reasons (often meaningless justifications) ...
> Portability is a pipe dream.
> In EVERY instance of portability*, there is a compromise that results in:
> - reduced performance
> - most common denomiator (lowest level of functionality) coding
> - refusal to use capabilities of the environment
> - duplication of environment capabilities
> - increased maintenance cost

Agreed with some, but not all, of the above.

> Why, oh why, pay $x to buy a piece of software and then insist on paying
> someone else to write the capabilities of that software into a 'front end'
> for the sake of 'being neutral'?

For my specific use case, I have other reasons for doing what I'm doing. One is being able to access tabular data from Oracle and geospatial data (via geoprocessing operations using ESRI's ArcGIS Desktop suite of products), from the same environment, e.g. Python (which is ESRI's scripting language of choice). Sorry I didn't mention this up front. We don't plan on using Oracle Spatial, which is another battle I'm unwilling to fight at this particular moment.

Although I'd love to see some healthy debate about Oracle Spatial vs. ESRI ArcSDE (Spatial Database Engine). Actually, ArcSDE is nice because it's supported on all major RDBMS platforms (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, etc) and migration isn't a huge issue. Fight it out, but I'll bow out and enjoy the fireworks.

> It is at the same level of thought process as:
> "I want to buy a car. The model I am about to buy has electric windows,
> seat heater, radio and CD changer.
> Because I may want to switch to another car that does not have these
> features, I will not allow anyone to use the electric windows, seat
> heaters or entertainment unit." Totally irrational, is it not?

In the case you mention, yes it's irrational. However, it's a Straw Man argument at worst and a poor analogy at best--at least in light of what I've now told you about my intentions and use case (fair enough?).

Until we have intelligent transportation systems, I don't think cars can interoperate with each other.

Thanks for your comments. Received on Thu Mar 02 2006 - 07:37:12 CST