Re: An Oldie, but a goodie... 8.1.7.4 does not install

From: Ken <kenneth.buzard_at_sunhealth.org>
Date: 28 Feb 2006 12:35:38 -0800

BD wrote:
> >- try the setup.exe in install\win32
> Did that - works for 8.1.7.0 base, but not for 8.1.7.3 nor 8.1.7.4
> installers
>
> >- check if your directory where you unpack the patch contains spaces/ is to long
> Tried that - moved the installer to d:\Install\8174\Disk1 - no change
>
> >- use the console mode
> Do you mean command-line mode? I did try that, and I also fired up
> FileMon.exe at the same time it was running - I can see a lot of stuff
> going on, files being opened - jrew.exe being called. I wonder if some
> Java SDK or Runtime environment should be checked for versions or
> updated or something??
>
> Thanks for the tips; I'm gonna follow up on the 'version of jrew.exe'
> for now - not much else I can see to try, except for reapplying the
> OS's Service Pack or something radical like that.
>
> BD

Workaround 1:

  1. Create a temporary directory on your server.
  2. Copy the entire contents of the Oracle RDBMS Server CD to the temporary directory created in step 1.
  3. Search the directory structure created in Step 1 for the existence of the filename symcjit.dll.
  4. Rename each copy of the symcjit.dll to symcjit.old.
  5. Run the setup.exe from the install\win32 directory (under the directory on your hard disk used in Step 1) and install Oracle 8.1.x and related products.