Re: How do I trace hanging "connect / as sysdba"?

From: pcroft <pcroft_at_cix.co.uk>
Date: 28 Feb 2006 12:10:02 -0800

Success at last!
I discovered that the Kerberos service was disabled; when I tried to enable and start it I got this error:
"error 1352: the security account manager (SAM) or local security authority (LSA) server was in the wrong state to perform the security operation".
I read some more about Kerberos and it appears tied up with Active Directory - which wasn't installed. So I installed AD, and then the Kerberos service ran and sqlplus /nolog, connect / as sysdba worked ok!

So with hindsight I guess the answers to my original questions are: When sqlplus reads "connect / as sysdba" it looks to see what authentication method
is in operation, as indicated by the parameter SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES in sqlnet.ora. If none it rejects the connect attempt with error ORA-01031: insufficient privileges,
and needs a username and password in the password file instead (sys/change_on_install).
If NTS it tries to do OS authentication using code which requires Active Directory
and hangs if that isn't installed.
Tracing can be enabled by setting TRACE_LEVEL_SERVER=support in sqlnet.ora.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Peter Received on Tue Feb 28 2006 - 14:10:02 CST