An Oldie, but a goodie... 8.1.7.4 does not install

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2006 11:11:20 -0800

I say oldie because I'm still on 8.1.7.

I am in the process of testing a new infrastructure in my environment, and I need to replicate our Dev database onto a new server for testing.

We are running AIX, and the test server is W2K, SP4.

I have installed the 8.1.7.0.0 base install onto this test server, and am TRYING to get 8.1.7.4 in there (p2376472). I then planned to follow it up with the Jan 06 CPU (p4751570)

Problem is, when I fire off the installer for the 8.1.7.4 patch, _nothing happens_. No splash screen, no error message, no nothing. I even tried running it from the command line with a response file. All I get is an hourglass for 5 seconds, and then nothing. Back to the prompt.

I dropped all Oracle services as per the patch readme, and just to be sure made a local Admin account on the box and used that to kick off the installer a second time (I'd been using a Domain account which had been granted Admin privs via group memberships). Again, no luck.

No 'setup.exe' in the Task Manager, either.

I'm _pretty_ sure I have the correct patch installer, and I only just downloaded it 20 minutes ago.

It may not be relevant, but I am connecting to the server over RDP; the install of the 8.1.7.0 base worked just fine with this method, so I don't expect any different with subsequent updates.

Deeply confused. All I can think to do is download Filemon, and go right down to the lowest level and see what files are being opened.