Re: Oracle RAC for scalability or High Availability only

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:34:50 -0600

On 2006-02-28, HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:09:14 -0600, JEDIDIAH wrote:
>

>> OTOH, adding nodes to the cluster is not just about the cost of
>> the boxes or of Oracle. Each box is going to your network and storage
>> systems overhead. That next box might require you to get another high
>> speed network switch (or 2 if you are being extra robust). The same goes
>> with your fiber switches. Then there's the question of whether or not
>> your storage array can handle that level of concurrency (nfs, iscsi or
>> san).
>
> That argument cuts both ways. If we're talking about would-a, could-a,
> should-a and might-a scenarios, the opposite is also true -
>
> your existing environment might have hit the limit on the box' network
> access and you need to add the extra switch anyway; you might have spare

        Except that a cluster typically has higher performance demands and latency requirements. The network and storage gear required for RAC will more than likely be at least one notch above what you would need for the rest of your enterprise in general.

        You're not just buying into "more" you are also buying into inherently higher end equipment at the same time. Since it is an HA solution, you are also doubling everything.

        You're oversimplifying the costs involved and glossing over the none too trivial costs of SAN, switches, HBAs and robust GigE network gear. A robust nfs server is also no trivial matter either (if you choose to try and avoid SAN).

> storage or access concurrency capacity due to scrapped projects,
> foresight, planning; etc.

        You're pretty much ignoring a critical and expensive part of the technology stack invovled.

--
      If you are going to judge Linux based on how easy
it is to get onto a Macintosh. Let's try installing          |||

                http://www.usenet.com