Re: Dual or 8 core CPU

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:55:34 -0800

JEDIDIAH wrote:
> On 2006-02-07, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:
>

>>Chan wrote:
>>
>>>I have a question on how oracle consider IBM DUAL or Sun 8 core CPUS.
>>>ie. Consider as dual CPU's and assign two physical process to each CPU?
>>
>>Ask your Oracle sales rep. We can not speak to issues regarding your
>>licensing with whatever unnamed Oracle product and version you are
>>inquiring about.

> You make it sound like Oracle has custom licensing for every
> one of their n+1. Obviously this can't be the case since even this
> would not quite scale even for Oracle. So obviously there needs to be
> a default model that even someone like you could cite a reference to.

They do. The general licenses change from year to year and many organizations negotiate custom license agreements. Licenses also must comply with government laws that change from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

Finally, and I would hope rather obviously, the experts on Oracle licensing are the Oracle reps who manage the account. For me, or you, or anyone else to comment on a license agreement never read in a country in which we possibly don't live is, I think, worse than presumptuous.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org