Re: Oracle RAC for scalability or High Availability only

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:21:46 GMT

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:09:14 -0600, JEDIDIAH wrote:

> OTOH, adding nodes to the cluster is not just about the cost of
> the boxes or of Oracle. Each box is going to your network and storage
> systems overhead. That next box might require you to get another high
> speed network switch (or 2 if you are being extra robust). The same goes
> with your fiber switches. Then there's the question of whether or not
> your storage array can handle that level of concurrency (nfs, iscsi or
> san).

That argument cuts both ways. If we're talking about would-a, could-a, should-a and might-a scenarios, the opposite is also true -

your existing environment might have hit the limit on the box' network access and you need to add the extra switch anyway; you might have spare storage or access concurrency capacity due to scrapped projects, foresight, planning; etc.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com