Re: Oracle licence question

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 27 Feb 2006 15:27:17 -0800

Tony Rogerson wrote:

>DBA...
> Oracle Min/Max £40,073 £45,219
>
> SQL Server Min/Max £36,128 £40,846

Thank you for encouraging the young 'uns in the correct direction. The last time I was officially classified as a DBA, about 5 years ago, I made 25% more than your stated Max, plus overtime. I believe it was about a third of the highest paid DBA in that large shop.

I made a conscious decision to bias towards Oracle/unix in 1989, and it was a good one. Haven't yet seen a reason to change. Sometimes, you do get what you pay for, especially for industrial strength solutions. A lot of my work has been throwing out stuff, particularly MS, that doesn't scale well, fixing stuff that was not done right, yes, even in Oracle, and making cross-db stuff work much better in Oracle.

But I must disagree with those who say apps will be thrown out in 3-5 years, probably because I'm skewed towards mission-critical manufacturing and financials. Seems people figure out early on that Oracle is better, or they won't even be talking to me. Better even for LCD cross-db apps.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Interesting article about transaction isolation levels: