Re: RAC Database -> Export Backup Failure - ORA-01555 Snap Shot Too Old

From: Roman Klesel <rupa_at_noris.de>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:46:06 +0100

Hello,

vasant.naidu_at_gmail.com schrieb:
> Hi sybrand,
>
> then what would you recommend in this situation. There is a BCV option
> and I had already mentioned to customer to subscribe to that. But would
> you not recommed export as a backup method. Even if it is full
> backup..? Please explain to me.

it's really funny. Some people just seem not to be able to live without exp/imp. With Oracle 9i one really doesn't want to use exp/imp unless there is no other alternative.

If you have an rman dump, why would you do another exp dump?

I would rather make sure the rman dumps are valid and check if the backupcycle fullfills the requirements of the customer.

If this is not enough security, go for one or more standby databases. (you can make backup of them as well( and validate those ))

In the past rman got some bad reputation, but from my experiance here (3 RAC with standby, 8 single instance with standby) Oracle 9i rman is rock stable. It saved my neck several times.

So my conclusion: Forget exp/imp if you run Oracle 9i.

Greetings Roman Received on Mon Feb 27 2006 - 08:46:06 CST