Re: Oracle licence question

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:36:10 GMT

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:57:04 +0000, Tony Rogerson wrote:

> But to reiterate the original point - a good database professional will,
> given a problem try and code it to FIPS 127-2 FULL (ANSI 92) and if it
> doesn't perform well enough will then look at vendor extensions. If you are
> writing an application that needs to run on SQL Server, Oracle and DB2 then
> you need to write portable SQL, that seems to be lost on HansF and probably
> DA too.

If it were at the SQL level, I'd be OK with portability. A SQL statement is a SQL statement right? <LOL>

I still have noticed that the majority of 'SQL Server developers' I have met use T-SQL when a single SQL statement will suffice.

The demands that defeat portability are at the series of statements (transactional) level. In which case you must start understanding the behaviour of the database. And code the set of SQL statements to that behaviour. Which varies by vendor. Which seems to be lost on you.

Looking forward to your response - but I will be going back to meaningful work for a while so you have the last word. Make it a good, scathing, one.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com