Re: Oracle licence question

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 12:04:55 -0800

Tony Rogerson wrote:

>>What level of ANSI 92 or didn't you know there are different levels?  That
>>is the version not the level.  SS isn't completely ANSI 92 compliant at
>>all
>>levels. (no one is)
>>Jim

> Ok, it has ENTRY, INTERMEDIATE and FULL compliance to FIPS 127-2
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_set-set_86ya.asp)
> which is based on ANSI 92.

The presence of a FIPS flagger does not indicate that the product itself is compliant with these levels - just that the product will tell you when you use a feature that is not compliant to one or more of the different levels. Oracle (and other databases) also have a FIPS flagger

> So, I guess let me rephrase the question - does Oracle have ENTRY,
> INTERMEDIATE and FULL compliance to FIPS 127-2 because I can only find
> references to ENTRY level.

Well - Core of 2003 actually - the levels you cite are for the earlier 92 standard. I will ask again - what level of ANSI 92 does SQL Server comply to ? And please provide a reference in the Doc, and not a paraphrase, as I suspect that you are not fully aware of what the different standards actually mean, or what compliance means, or even how compliance is measured.

> But to reiterate the original point - a good database professional will,
> given a problem try and code it to FIPS 127-2 FULL (ANSI 92) and if it
> doesn't perform well enough will then look at vendor extensions. If you are
> writing an application that needs to run on SQL Server, Oracle and DB2 then
> you need to write portable SQL, that seems to be lost on HansF and probably
> DA too.

OK - so lets expand this a little bit then. What compliance level does MS cite, and what other databases also have the same level of compliance, so that you can write portable SQL ? Received on Sun Feb 26 2006 - 14:04:55 CST