Re: Oracle licence question

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:54:14 -0800

Tony Rogerson wrote:

> But really - leaving your production server broken for 30 days - what sort
> of companies have you worked for? Please let me know, I doubt I'll become a
> customer.

Recent events in the US has meant that quite a few sites have failed over to their standby environments for much longer than 30 days. If you have had any sort of US based bank account in the last 5 years or so, you have been a customer.

> Sorry - you are right, its in Standard and above - pay the extra £500 :) -
> do you have clustering in Oracle standard? This is what I am after, somebody
> to point me to the feature list so i can go check - there doesn't appear to
> be one.

I sent you the list already.

> The Oracle site is not very intuitive, more is not said than said!

Oracle doesn't list what is in Standard (as that list would be huge), they list the differences. Clustering a la MS style is available for all editions of Oracle. Clustering a la Oracle (RAC) is not available for Standard Edition One, provided for free in Standard Edition, and an optional extra with Enterprise Edition

> And I thought MS licensing was bad!

Finally something we can agree on Received on Sun Feb 26 2006 - 13:54:14 CST