Re: Oracle licence question

From: Tony Rogerson <tonyrogerson_at_sqlserverfaq.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 19:12:12 -0000

> Name me 1 application written in "portable" SQL that runs scalable and
> performant on all those 3 platforms - it just doesn't exist. SQL Server is
> NOT Oracle is NOT DB2.

Its my stance too - ask Celko, I'm always bashing him because of his blindly following standards over scalability.

But, its a real requirement that vendors trying to support multiple platforms face - just go and ask one who's application supports all three.

Personally, I think each database should support full FIPS so we can have a professional standard approach that we could follow, and then if the particular query/problem trying to be solved doesn't scale we then resort to vendor extensions.

--
Tony Rogerson
SQL Server MVP