Re: Oracle licence question

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 10:51:24 -0800

Serge Rielau wrote:
> HansF wrote:
>

>> On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 22:25:02 +0000, Tony Rogerson wrote:
>>

>>> What you mean - they use portable SQL as definied by the ANSI SQL
>>> standard, something Oracle doesn't do very well! Come on guys, catch
>>> up!! Talk about MS locking people in - LOL!
>>

>> I am specifically saying that vendor lockin is a good thing.  Accept what
>> is being offered and go with it.  Then, in 3 years time, when replacing
>> the system, look at what is the right tool at that time.

> Hans,
>
> Hang on..., have you seen many shops that actually switch an app after
> those three years (from or to Oracle, doesn't matter)? The moment the
> application logic (which includes procedures) has committed to the misc.
> features of a given product migration costs skyrocket.

A pleasant thought but not borne out by statistics gathered during numerous research studies. Put SAP on top of DB2 and you are staying there for several generations. Same goes with any other combination.

If is always enjoyable to see a geek try to turn into a marketer.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org