Re: How do I trace hanging "connect / as sysdba"?

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:53:12 +0100

pcroft wrote:
> Frank,
> Unfortunately the problem is not solved; we found a way round it
> but I am afraid the hang might be symptomatic of a deeper
> problem which could cause difficulties later if not resolved.
>
> In answer to the points you raise:
>
> 1. With SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
> sqlplus "sys/pwd as sysdba"
> hangs just like
> sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

Which I expected. NT Security (NTS) on fails. NTS off, and using sys/pswd uses passwordfile authentication; you can change that using the orapwd utility.

Maybe you've already seen this, if not, good stuff on the matter: http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:11268861732914726032::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:670117794561

> 2. >It merely suggests the installation was done not as local admin,

>> and verification of the ORA_DBA group fails against some domain.

> I installed it as the same user I am using here. Besides the
> group ORA_DBA was created and populated by the install so why
> would that exist?
>
> Regards,
> Peter

Because security is validated in the domain controller, not locally? At least, when installed as domain user, not local admin.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...