Re: Oracle licence question

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 12:39:19 -0800

joebayer wrote:
> Group,
>
> Oracle is so expensive, often time, managers chose SQL server over Oracle
> only because of the expense, and it is sad to see all those new projects go
> to SQL server group. (Our shop do not do any in house software development,
> only vendor application, and all vendor applications support both Oracle and
> SQL)
Sorry this is pure nonsense. I've yet to see a single example, in recent years, of Oracle being more expensive than SQL Server. In fact I think the exact opposite is true.

Certainly if you compare the two Enterprise Editions because you think the name on the marketing literature is more important than the feature sets this will be true. But if you compare equals ... Oracle Standard Edition to SQL Server Enterprise it is not. And even with this comparison Oracle has a far richer feature set including substantially greater security and built-in ability to comply with government auditing regulations.

> I have one question here:
>
> Is it possible for us only to buy Oracle licence without paying for the
> annual support?

Yes. I think it is short-sighted but possible.

> All I need is accessing metalink website, and my other
> projects have already provided such access.

Then why are you even buying another license? Why not just use your existing licensed database and create another schema?

> Thanks for your comments or suggestions as how to make Oracle competitive in
> terms of price, what kind of option do I have here?

If you can show me a comparison of equals where Oracle is more expensive than SQL Server I would be very appreciative.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org