online redefinition used too much undo segment?

From: Zhu Chao <zhuchao_at_gmail.com>
Date: 24 Feb 2006 18:57:42 -0800

hi, all,

    I am testing online redefinition in oracle 9.2, and I found it used too much rbs segment. While redefine (start_redef_table), for my 2GB table, it used 1.4GB rollback segment.

    That makes the online def not much useful for real big tables.

   I traced the session, it mainly did the insert /*+append*/ to populate the interim table. How can an insert statement use so much space? table has 19M rows. Table is narrow and I think for wider table it should not use similar rbs segment as this table has. This is the small tbale we have. We have tables with 300M rows which we target to convert to heap table.

   Anyone have real life experience using that tool? on big/busy tables?

Thx Received on Fri Feb 24 2006 - 20:57:42 CST