Re: checking status on two listeners on one server

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 24 Feb 2006 09:28:19 -0800

>Also, when we do a ps, we only see one listener process running.
>However, we see both ports in output from netstat. We expected to see
>two listener processes in the "ps" output too. So do we have one
>listener running or two?

I think I can help a bit here. I recently went through a process of ensuring that all my dbs were working through one single listener instead of multiple ones - here is the distiction I found:

As far as I'm concerned, whether or not you have 2 listeners running or not depends on your listener.ora - if db1's ORACLE_HOME and db2's ORACLE_HOME are different in listener.ora, then when you start the listener associated with them (even if it's the same listener ID in the file), the listener for both ORACLE_HOMEs will be running.

As well, if you do a 'ps -ef', you will get fuller output, as in

oracle 57772 1 0 Jan 10 - 0:25 /fs01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/bin/tnslsnr LSNR2 -inherit

In this case, the listener that is running is the one for the '/product/8.1.7' ORACLE_HOME. If I'd had another ORACLE_HOME installed in '/product/8.1.7b', and I had one of my dbs pointed to that second home, I'd see two separate listener processes running - one for each home.

So in short, I recommend editing your listener.ora, and using ps -ef. ((better yet, 'ps -ef |grep oracle' will show you only those processes owned by the 'oracle' ID on your server - could make the list smaller and easier to review))

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

BD. Received on Fri Feb 24 2006 - 11:28:19 CST