Re: What is involved to switch from enterprise to standard-one?

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 08:38:51 +0000

In message <1140741044.303693.252220_at_z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, davelin1_at_gmail.com writes
>We are looking at switching oracle licensing options from Enterprise to
>the Standard-One.
>
>Aside from licensing issues, does anybody have any information about
>what is involved to accomplish this? Is it relatively straigthforard?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>-Dave

I went through this recently.

*Confirm this with an Oracle Sales representative*

There is no real licence downgrade. You just stop paying maintenance on the Enterprise licence and take out new SEOne licences. This means that you still have the Enterprise Licences (assuming you bought Perpetual), but in order to get support for them if you decide to use them later you will have to pay the re-instatement fees.

In terms of downgrading the software and database, the only supported way is to install SEOne in a new Oracle home, create a new database, export from the EE database and import into the SEOne database.

Not difficult, but potentially time-consuming and disruptive[1] if your databases are large.

[1] Potentially *very* disruptive if it turns out you *are* using some Enterprise features. Test thoroughly.

--
Jim Smith
I'm afraid you've mistaken me for someone who gives a damn.