Re: License model

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 21:25:31 +0000

In message <43fe19e9$0$17051$626a54ce_at_news.free.fr>, astalavista <spam_at_nowhere.com> writes
>Thanks all for your answers ..
>
>We have installed a lot of EE
>and don't use any EE facilities ...
>Are we correct to the license like SE or SEone ?
>Or we have to downgrade the edition ? and how ?

You should consider that Standard and Standard One are limited to 4 and 2 processors respectively.
You should downgrade your installations to match your licences, AFAIK but the only supported way to do that is export from the EE database and import into a standard edition database.
>We use Tomcat as Application server
>is it 1 named user ? or more

No. The oracle licence definitions page has something to say on what it calls "multiplexing hardware or software". The number of users in your case would be the number of users connecting to tomcat.
>Development databases are free ?

I don't think so. The OTN development licence allows you to use most oracle products for free, up to the point of deployment of an application. Once you deploy you have to pay for licences. My interpretation of this is that once you have deployed your application, all test and development is in support of that production application and must be licensed.

IANAL, and I haven't had to put this to the test (I haven't worked at a green field oracle site since the OTN licence became available) but that seems to me be a reasonable interpretation. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who HAS put it to the test.

--
Jim Smith
I'm afraid you've mistaken me for someone who gives a damn.