Re: Number of threads is twice the number of sessions with 10.2 on Windows platform

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:09:04 -0800

paolo.desalvo_at_gmail.com wrote:
> My bases are:
> - 8.1.7, 9r1, 9r2 and 10r1 don't behave like that
> - Oracle documentation for 10r2 does not say anything about such a
> change in the way the ORACLE.EXE process manages its threads on
> Windows, neither Metalink says anything about
> - Oracle Support says it's not the normal behaviour
>
> And the real problem is:
> - with a limit of 2GB addressable for Windows 32bit, when the VM
> allocated by ORACLE.EXE process reaches 2GB users can't connect anymore
> to the database, so I wonder what are those "additional" thread for.
>
> Paolo

10gR2 has many new processes that show up as threads. Whether that is the cause I can't say as I don't have much use for Windows.

However if the basis of this inquiry is related to the number of users connecting I'd suggest you look directly at the problem at hand. How many users? Shared server or dedicated? etc.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org