Re: Best way to replicate data PLUS can i export a replicated base table?

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 21:11:32 +0100

Edwinah63 wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> i would appreciate some thoughts on this one.
>
> client's criteria:
>
> * be able to write to replicated copy during master site down time
> * be able to move any record changes made on the writable MV back to
> the master site once it is available again.
>
> thought:
>
> * create writable MVs
> * export the MV base table and reimport to master site
>
> OR
>
> * create updatable MVs - tho' have googled around and found they are
> never used in production environments and possibly not recommended.
>
> have:
>
> * Oracle 9.2 sp5
> * win2k
>
> What's the best way to approach this?
>

> ALSO:
>
> i have tried to export the base table via Data Management - Export via
> OEM gui BUT when i have tried to do this get error:
>
> "the wizard could not be launched because the preferred credentials for
> node "myNode" are either not set or invalid. to set this information
> select Preferences from the Configuration menu then use the Preferred
> Credentials tab."
>
> checked this and found that the preferred credentials are for sys as
> sysdba. what credentials should i be using?
>
> if i cannot export an MV base table, what would be the best way to copy
> the data from the writable MV back to the master site?
>
> Edwinah63

Hard question, this one... I'd say Streams, but I'm not too thrilled about it on 9.2.
Streams supports two-way replication on table, schema and db level. It's the successor of Advanced Replication (although that is still available in 9.2).

About your MV: check on updateable MV's - two-way replication.

On the support side, Streams is easier that MV's. MV's may be easier to set up.

Watch out for data conflicts, and make sure everyone involved knows about conflict resolution in a very early stage.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...