Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:10:39 -0800

Noons wrote:

> Tony Rogerson wrote:
>

>>Instead of bleating like a sheep post some factual stuff, technical reasons
>>why SQL Server's implementation is so poor.

> I can't: I'm contractually obliged, like anyone else under
> the beautyful M$ umbrella, to not disclose ANY such information
> I have of the product. And I do strongly suspect that Daniel's
> motivation would be very similar.

Correct.

> Here is another angle: why don't you tell us why is
> it that the implementation is so "good"? After all,
> I reckon it's Sql Server that is the johnny-come-late
> to the arena of read consistency? Or is it up to everyone
> else to do M$'s homework?

Correct again.

> Statements along the lines of : "It's good because everything
> that M$ puts out is good" won't hold much water with this
> audience, though...

And correct yet again! ;-)

Microsoft years back claimed a 4 node clustered database I believe they called "Microsoft Federated Database." To the best of my knowledge no one ever put it into production. They just used the claim to be able to convince the ill-informed they could duplicate RAC. They couldn't then and they can't now. But since when have integrity and marketing coexisted?

Caveat emptor ... let the buyer beware.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org