Re: License model

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 22 Feb 2006 17:40:36 -0800

I will disagree with the statement that most people advise against running more than 1 database instance per server.

If your server is a single cpu PC then I might agree but if you run UNIX on SMP machines then running multiple Oracle instances is generally not a problem. We have been doing so since version 6 through versions 7, 7.1, 7.2, 8.0, 8.1, and 9.2. It is just a matter of estimating the total IO, memory, and CPU demands for all the instances.

As long as resources are available then the important point is why you want/need multiple instances. Vendor products that are certified on different versions of Oracle might be one reason to have multiple instances.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Feb 22 2006 - 19:40:36 CST