Re: Connect to remote oracle database on a different domain via ODBC

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 22 Feb 2006 05:25:07 -0800

Edwinah63 wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Would appreciate some help on this one:
>
> * have master site on host1.here.com
> * have mirror site on host2.there.com
>
> Would like to connect
>
> On host1 did following:
>
> 1. ping host2.there.com - OK
>
> 2. tnsping mirror.there.com - OK
>
> 3. sqlplus me/pwd_at_mirror.there.com - OK
>
> 4. test via Net Configuration Assistant - OK
>
> 5. Try to set up ODBC connection to mirror using Oracle in OraHome92.
> when test connection get:
>
> ORA 12545
>
> ** SQLNET.ora **
>
> NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = here.com
>
> SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
>
> NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES)
>
> ** tnsnames.ora **
>
> mirror.there.com =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = MirrorHost)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVER = DEDICATED)
> (SERVICE_NAME = mirror.there.com)
> )
> )
>
> master.here.com =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = MasterHost)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVER = DEDICATED)
> (SERVICE_NAME = master.here.com)
> )
> )
>
> tried remming out names.default_domain - no difference.
>
> what is happening and what can I do?
>
> Regards
>
> Edwinah63

Oracle version? OS? I'm going to assume Oracle 9.2 on Windows-something.

If you were able to connect with SQL*Plus (as you indicate you can) then there is nothing wrong with your Oracle setup and no reason to go mucking around with any *.ora files. Your problem is with your ODBC setup.

Which ODBC driver are you using -- Oracle? Microsoft?

Open your ODBC Data Source Manager applet. Select your data source name and look at the properties. What value do you give for "TNS Service Name" (Oracle driver) or "Server" (Microsoft driver). In either case, this should be the same value you specify i your connect string with SQL*Plus. Looks like that should be mirror.there.com Received on Wed Feb 22 2006 - 07:25:07 CST