Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: Double Echo <doubleecho_at_your.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 07:33:16 -0500

I have read the whole thread(s) <whew!> so I could ask a question. I am now extremely curious about Oracle's engine. I have very little experience with Oracle, having used all the major databases, except only a limited amount of time with older Oracle engines such as 9i. I have worked with SQL-Server enough that I think it could run faster if it weren't on PC-DOS, and if they make more improvements, such as what they've done with SS-2005, etc. While I find SQL-Server limited on its scalability, it **is** in production in a lot of very profitable companies, and a first-choice for a lot of Fortune 100 companies, hard as it is to believe for those outside the SQL-Server practice. From a professional perspective it's important to understand these architectures, that's why I'm asking:

What reading material would you people, as Oracle experts, recommend that I read to better understand the Oracle engine? I have extensive experience as a DBA, but not with Oracle and would really like to understand the engine better. I have Tom Kyte's book, but what I'm looking for are books that discuss the architecture, and how the engine works.

Thanks in advance! Received on Wed Feb 22 2006 - 06:33:16 CST