Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 23:10:03 GMT

Tony Rogerson wrote:

>>Ummmm - you appear to underestimate the power of marketing.
>>Basing any decision on 'what everyone else does' is subject to flaw.
>>Yet, the primary Microsoft model is: flood the media and everyone who does
>>not have time to evaluate properly will go to the populist source by
>>default.  Regardless of whether it is gold or crap in the specific
>>situation.

> People in Marketing rank high on my kill list if there is ever a civil war,
> Salesman are worse but Politicians - god!
>
> I think Oracle, IBM and Microsoft in the database arena market at around the
> same volume.
>

>>I am deliverately avoiding the 'technology' discussion, as we both know
>>that Microsoft and Oracle have technology that delivers well, when used
>>properly.

> May be when Oracle is a lot easier to use, and may be Express will be the
> answer to that then the uptake will be the same as SQL Server and MySQL; SQL
> Server penetration has grown literally because of cost and simplicity of use
> (which has led to some badly designed and poor performing apps!).
>
> Most small businesses and web start ups want a simple store that they can
> use SQL against, most of the time they are developers with little database
> knowledge and can't afford to hire a DBA thats all; thats why MySQL is so
> popular as well.

Just because is can be done doesn't mean that it should be done and the crappy sites/apps highlight that fact!

No amount of tuning - on ANY platform - will EVER fix poorly architected databases AND applications. There are so many who call themselves "developers"   (and DBA's for that matter) that ought to be taken out and have their hands broken.

Most people still think that using MySQL for a commercial entity is free... When in fact it is not - and the cost rival that of Oracle and SQLServer. It is free ONLY if your app is provided as an OpenSource app and freely available to anyone. If you want to keep your app/code proprietary - it will cost you.

--
Michael Austin.
DBA Consultant