Re: Another one bites the dust: Oracle buys Sleepycat Database

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:13:02 -0600

On 2006-02-19, hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> # I don't know about mysql but another thing I like about oracle is its
>
> # resilience in the face of crashed processes. There are quite a few
> processes
> # that can die without the user noticing. There are a number of other
> processes
> # where the user still can continue working, maybe with limitations and
> where
> # we can tell the user, log out this evening and then I can start
> fixing things.
>
> Ummm what oracle processes have you seen crash lately?
>
> It's been a bunch of years since I remember any process actually
> barfing and dying on me.

        Are you kidding? I see dataguard processes trip over themselves all the time. You don't even want to get me started about enterprise manager. Oracle has a very strong core competency. Venture much outside of that and you might as well be running something licenced under the GPL.         Time will eventually catch up with Oracle and the freebies will get "good enough". The market will begin to erode like it has for Sun. The rubes that would buy Oracle just for the big name won't anymore.

        I wouldn't run postgres in my current shop. However, it could have been quite at home in some of the other ones.

--
     Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
	                                                         / | \

                http://www.usenet.com