Re: Another one bites the dust: Oracle buys Sleepycat Database

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:09:14 -0600

On 2006-02-21, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Volker Hetzer wrote:
>> DA Morgan schrieb:
>>
>>> I understand the sentiment but it is not going to change anything. Be
>>> honest here ... Oracle has surrounded MySQL. They can do the same with
>>> PostgreSQL or any other product in a matter of hours.
>>
>> "resistance is futile" has never been an acceptable argument against
>> the necessity of resistance.
>>
>> Lots of Greetings!
>> Volker
>
> I'll agree the day you refuse to take an antibiotic as a protest against
> a pharmaceutical company. ;-)

        No, what's being described is taking penecillin produced by some cottage company as a protest against whatever patent problems you might think exist in the pharmacuetical companies.

        Of course the problem with this comparison is the fact that ALL pharmaceutical company products are fully disclosed and will enter the public domain in some relatively short and definable time period. Even AZT will become public domain (if it hasn't already).

        This process will never occur for any commercial software.

        Oracle7 will never become a commodity, freely producable and tradeable by anyone and ready to be an alternative to the current and expensive flavor of the month.

> I am a firm believer in resistance, protest, and if necessary open
> rebellion. But to achieve an achievable goal ... not just to be a martyr.

        I find you amusing on occasion, but not informative.

        That is a shame since I don't come into this group for entertainment.

--
     Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
	                                                         / | \

                http://www.usenet.com