Re: RAC Question

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 14:07:29 -0800

ExecMan wrote:
> Hi Everyone!
>
> I am trying to teach myself about RAC. I bought a couple of books, and
> I have a few questions I hope someone who's knowlege in this area is
> greater than mine can help:
>
> First, I want to set up 2 Red Hat 9.0 boxes. What would be the minimum
> or suggested requirements for hardware? ie. Storage, Memory, CPU
> Speed?
>
> Second, I've read in this book about RAW Devices and Cluster File
> Systems. Can someone give my an 'explanation for dummies' on what
> those mean?
>
> I fully understand what a partition is in the 'Windows' sense, but not
> CFS or RAW in the Unix sense.........
>
> Appreciate all your time!
>
> John

RAW simply put is the lack of a file system. You are writing to a raw disk partition. OCFS and OCFS2 are two versions of an open-source clustered file system that supports RAC's shared-everything architecture. Essentially ... there is no locking.

If you are trying to do this yourself you can kludge something together using FireWire (instructions last time I checked at dizwell.com) but you won't have a RAC cluster supportable by Oracle nor will you have any option for adding a more nodes or doing many of the things I would consider essential for truly learning RAC. Where are you located geographically speaking?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org