Re: Python vs. PL/SQL for Oracle work

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:33:39 GMT

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:46:32 -0800, Jeff C wrote:

> Mladen Gogala wrote:

>> Yes, I agree. The OP definitely has that problem. If you want to do
>> something in the database, PL/SQL is definitely the right choice.

> What about Java? I read a lot about Java and PL/SQL being Oracle's two
> core languages, and then about Java replacing PL/SQL, but I don't see
> it happening where I work...

I teach both Java and PL/SQL for Oracle University (amongst other things) and have found the following to be quite consistent in Oracle's world:

If it makes sense to 'do it in the database':

If it makes sense to do it before it gets to the database:

Sadly, many people want to do it before it gets to the database, and ewnd up with self-inflicted performance/security/audit issues.

When deciding where is the right location - just ask youself how logn the application will be around in the organization, and how long the data will be around. Many applications get replaced after 2-5 years, but the data often lives for at least 7 years to fulfill legal audit requirements.

(If that is the case, why insist on putting the security, auditing and business constraints where they will be tossed in 3-5 years - even though the data will be kept for longer?)

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com