Re: Another one bites the dust: Oracle buys Sleepycat Database

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:43:21 +0100

hpuxrac schrieb:
> # I don't know about mysql but another thing I like about oracle is its
>
> # resilience in the face of crashed processes. There are quite a few
> processes
> # that can die without the user noticing. There are a number of other
> processes
> # where the user still can continue working, maybe with limitations and
> where
> # we can tell the user, log out this evening and then I can start
> fixing things.
>
> Ummm what oracle processes have you seen crash lately?
>
> It's been a bunch of years since I remember any process actually
> barfing and dying on me.

cjq0 on a regular typically at least once a week, one particular cronjob sometimes (needs a kill -9) depending on load, the standby database needs a reboot every couple of weeks and one or two session processes every four to five months where after 2h I stop trying to distinguish between crash and whatever else causes this and reboot the database in the evening after the backup has run.

Ok, when I say "crash" I mean one process using up all cpu load and not finishing within a few hours or over the weekend.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker Received on Mon Feb 20 2006 - 03:43:21 CST