Re: resource utilization / hardware selection

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 05:30:35 GMT

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 23:14:49 -0800, hopehope_123 wrote:

> I am about making the decision of migrating redhat box to a sun box.
> The new sun box may have 6CPUs ( dual core so 12 cpus) 2hba , but i
> wonder whether the 6 cpus in new box can provide me a better
> performance .

I have one question: your system seems to be I/O bound. You are describing millions of rows, I/O sizes of 1MB and disks 95% busy. Why are you so concerned about the number of CPU resources? Personally, I would be more inclined to develop a typical transaction mix, formulate requirements, develop a test and benchmark the systems. Also, if you have a comparable company in the region, ask them what are they using and how satisfied they are. Make vendor provide you with local references and then check those references. If I were you, my main concern would be the number of I/O requests per second that either configuration can complete. In addition to that, there is a reason why Linux servers are so much cheaper then almost anything else: the central bus, I/O architecture and memory management are coming from the PC world. SUN minicomputer with Solaris will almost certainly be better Oracle server then a Linux server with the same number of CPU resources, due to the true minicomputer architecture and not an architecture of a souped up workstation. I don't understand why did you limit the choice to just SUN and Linux, there are also vendors like IBM and HP-UX that can provide solutions in the competing range. I must say that I admire both AIX 5.2L and HP-UX boxes, they are incredibly stable and both companies have excellent technical support. Given the latest P6 chip and HP woes with Itanic, over which Carly Fiorina was fired, I'd be inclined to go with IBM. I had an opportunity to work on P950 box and it was blindingly fast. I believe that IBM is still king of the hill when it comes to performing lots of I/O. Nothing else in the same price range comes even close. Disclaimer:
I don't work for IBM and I never have worked for them.

--
http://www.mgogala.com