Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 19 Feb 2006 18:32:35 -0800

Tony Rogerson wrote:

> The impression I'm taking away is that Oracle coders shoe horn the business
> requirement to suit their engine rather than implementing the correct
> isolation level inline with the business requirement following the
> isolations available in the ANSI SQL standard - do you guys actually
> implement much of that?

You see, Tony: this is where you show your bias and your complete lack of historical perspective and knowledge.

Oracle has always supported a readers-do-not-block-writers model. Always. Period.
Most other so-called competitive "relational" database implementations never did. Never. Period.

Before I get the usual cohort of "we support it" camels: I said "MOST". I did not say "ALL". Learn to read and lay off,OK! But, I digress:

Therefore, the ANSI mob - as usual - had to invent the "isolation level" rubbish in order to explain away and validate the other inferior implementations. ANSI gave up technical correctness in exchange for vendor pandering about 15 years ago. Money talks...

Just remember this: the ANSI isolation level "standard" came into place 20 years AFTER Oracle had supported the correct isolation level.

There is NO SUCH THING as a business "requirement" to see uncomitted data and there never has been. It's totally bogus and a pile of bullshit of the highest order.

What there is is the need to make some inferior products "look good". And hence the whole "isolation level" load of crap.

If you doubt it, just ask yourself why is it that it's products that fully support read-committed and readers-don't-block-writers that get chosen TIME AFTER TIME, to support mission critical applications in the military, banks, OLTP, online markets, etcetc. Hint,hint?

So please: take your "isolation levels", shove them wherever it is the Microslop sun doesn't shine and leave us alone with our "bigotry", OK? We've been doing incredibly well with it and don't intend to change just because Billy-boy says so.

Because quite frankly, your whole approach to this subject is incredibly "ho-hum, another marketing bullshitter" for those of us who have been around a little bit longer than the latest burst of sunshine off BG's arse.

K? Received on Sun Feb 19 2006 - 20:32:35 CST