Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Feb 2006 14:51:01 -0600

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, tonyrogerson_at_sqlserverfaq.com wrote:
> Here is just one from:
> http://www.orafaq.com/faq/RDBMS_Server/Internals/faq503.htm
>
> 1, "ITL shortage deadlocks"

Yes, so increase them. A dba activity. Not something that the code should check.

> 2, High transaction activity on tables with bitmap indexes.

And one shouldn't use bitmap indexes on tables that are involved in high-transactions. Any Oracle 101 would tell you that. Those are for Data warehousing.

> Would you like me find and quote more?

I'd like you to find one, yes.

> I'd say thats architecture, i doubt you would though or is the point
> where you backtrack and spout some other "factual" information?

You haven't pointed out one time where one should put things in their application code that check for deadlocks. I can find quote after quote on how you must code it in SQLServer. The SQLServer newsgroups are littered with them, most authored by the SQLServer MVPs.

> Deadlocks can be avoided in any database system by coding properly.

Not in SQLServer. They cannot be avoided no matter how you code the application. You must, instead, check for them and react to them.

Keep trying.

--
Galen Boyer