Re: How do I trace hanging "connect / as sysdba"?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:06:11 +0100

Comments embedded

On 18 Feb 2006 09:53:50 -0800, "pcroft" <pcroft_at_cix.co.uk> wrote:

>C:\notes>lsnrctl status OracleOraHome92TNSListener
>
>LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on
>18-FEB-2006 17:30:26
>
>Copyright (c) 1991, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
>TNS-01101: Could not find service name OracleOraHome92TNSListener
> NNC-00405: network failure
>

>C:\notes>lsnrctl services OracleOraHome92TNSListener
>
>LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on
>18-FEB-2006 17:31:
>28
>
>Copyright (c) 1991, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
>TNS-01101: Could not find service name OracleOraHome92TNSListener
> NNC-00405: network failure
>
>So it looks like there is a serious problem there which
>I need to investigate.

This is likely not a problem at all. The name of the listener is defined in listener.ora The default is listener. Your command is incorrect.
Just issue lsnrctl status and see what happens. It will work.

>Thanks for the explanation about what is going on with connect / as
>sysdba.
>The os user seems to be set up ok as an administrator member
>of group OS_DBA.
>I am running McAfee Personal Firewall but that is not reporting any
>blocks.
>> what happens when you try sqlplus /nolog
>> and then connect / as sysdba?
>That is what I did to get the hang.
>
>>- you could add sqlnet.trace_level_client=admin
>>in sqlnet.ora and see if it results in any .trc files.

One other problem I can recall is Oracle being incapable to get in touch with a PDC/BDC or a local SAM
In order to research you need to make the change that is most frequently made to sqlnet.ora
Add the line
sqlnet.authentication_services=(none)

My bet is you will get in now. You may need to provide a password, as you just disabled O/S authentication.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA