Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Feb 2006 19:34:02 -0600

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006, srielau_at_ca.ibm.com wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> What any and all financial systems require is the ability to produce
>> a result set consistent to a point-in-time ... preferably without
>> locking tables. Something impossible to do with previous versions of
>> SQL Server.

> That's what timestamps are there for. You rarely need to see the
> whole database in snapshot mode.

Heres an example of why I just plain mistrust this implementation. One of the fundamental differences between Oracle and SQLServer is how they two view locks. SQLServer view locks as a resource. Oracle views locks as an attribute of the row in cache. SQL Server has to acquire a lock to then subsequently lock rows for transactional purposes. Oracle never has this overhead as well as resource limitation.

Now, look at the statement by Seirge. To acquire this read-consisent snapshot, or, whatever MS is calling it, SQLServer still needs to worry about resource contention. As I said, I just don't trust the implementation of it, while I can be 100% Oracle's implementation is 100% flawless.

--
Galen Boyer