Re: Problem with a view: table from it contains wrong number of rows

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 02:06:22 +0100

schonlinner_at_yahoo.com schrieb:
> Well, I think we mean the same with "static":
>
> Nobody except me is accessing the tables (well, I guess, currently the
> gather_stats_job is accessing them and calculating statistics...). The
> table is really static and does not change. The views which access the
> table are just summing up some data and calculating some averages,
> nothing unusual, the views only use standard SQL functions like avg,
> sum, division, addition and subtraction (no fancy PL/SQL functions
> which might change data!).
>
> I can reproduce the behaviour: I selected data from the view over
> several hours (I thought that I mispelled something) and always got the
> same results from it, and the same number of rows returned. And I
> constantly dropped the resulting table and recreated it, and it always
> differed from the view.
>
> It's a nightmare! When using the NO_PARALLEL hint (on all selects and
> view defintions involved) all works fine. But does it really solve the
> problem or just shift it to another location? I don't know :-((
>
> Regards,
> Alex

If your results are reproducible, i would not spent more time on this and open a TAR. Near 2 years ago i hit the similar bug with parallel query ( different number of rows in aggregation with parallel/noparallel ). Maybe yours are 3318204 or 3273109. Maybe another one. In any case, Oracle Support can tell you that definitely, and, what is more substantial - a patch or workaround.

Best regards

Maxim Received on Fri Feb 17 2006 - 19:06:22 CST