Re: Database or store to handle 30 Mb/sec and 40,000 inserts/sec

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 17:32:05 GMT

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 17:16:52 +0000, Tony Rogerson wrote:

> If the product is crap then nobody would use it - would they?

Ummmm - you appear to underestimate the power of marketing.

People still eat at/from fast food places, even though the medical evidence indicates that this is not a good thing. (see virtually any medical journal on the cause and effect of obesity in North Americans.)

Basing any decision on 'what everyone else does' is subject to flaw.

Yet, the primary Microsoft model is: flood the media and everyone who does not have time to evaluate properly will go to the populist source by default. Regardless of whether it is gold or crap in the specific situation.

I am deliverately avoiding the 'technology' discussion, as we both know that Microsoft and Oracle have technology that delivers well, when used properly.

Or perhaps you do not underestimate the power of marketing, but support it slideways? Shills have appeared here on a regular basis, many having precisely this argument.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com