A grant to grant a role without granting the grant to the role

From: Arto Viitanen <arto.viitanen_at_csc.fi>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:34:35 +0200

Yes, really. I have database on a schema A and need to create users that have access to A's tables. Also one of the tables need to be viewed by the use so that only those rows that are either common or belong to the user are shown. Because the users can be created dynamically, I have a schema Management with tables that store user information etc. and a package with procedures.

For rights to the A tables, I have a role N. Since Management owns the package which creates new user, Management has to have rights to grant to role to the new role. Only way I could make this was to

GRANT N TO Management WITH ADMIN OPTION;

But, this gave Management right to the A's tables. Is there any way to grant the right to grant role without granting the role?

--
Arto Viitanen, CSC Ltd.
Espoo, Finland