Re: Help: Hundreds of connections PHP->Oracle

From: Keith E. Sauvant <ne.ws.ksau_at_spamgourmet.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:39:11 +0100

Mladen Gogala schrieb:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:31:27 +0100, Keith E. Sauvant wrote:
>

>> Does it make any difference if oracle is installed locally or on
>> another machine? Is it relevant if we connect to the database using
>> a service_name or a SID?
>>
>> Any comments, hints, help?

> You are probably using persistent connections?

Yes, we do. Means: we were ;-) I tried without persistent connections yesterday and it had far more comprehensible behaviour. Still waiting for the customer test results.

> It's persistent connections problem. I believe that this was resolved
> in 5.1.2, not before. The problem is that whenever one uses
> oci_pconnect, httpd process opens session. For some reason, when a
> new HTTP request is issued, new httpd process is created and logged
> into the database.

But: In our case it is ONE PROCESS that starts opening connections. We start a script that runs for some hours. It runs fine for one hour and then it starts opening additional connections to the database. Strange behaviour.

> If you need it for the commercial use, I wholeheartedly recommend
> Zend Core for Oracle. It's beautiful and most of the OCI bugs are
> fixed.

I like the idea of using Zend Core for Oracle. But: PHP5 is still not certified for some of our customers.

We use the latest PECL OCI8-Extension. That should be exactly the one Zend Core uses. Am I right?

Best regards
Keith Received on Thu Feb 16 2006 - 02:39:11 CST