Re: Oracle RAC for scalability or High Availability only

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:54:37 -0800

dananrg_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I read Mogen's white paper. Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> Is RAC scalability typically only justifiable when you need to purchase
> a server that has more than 4 CPUs? Someone mentioned a 10 CPU box. I
> don't have that magnitude of growth to worry about, and I don't need to
> have HA.

There are multiple reasons why RAC might be the right answer. If these situations are not yours then you likely won't benefit from RAC.

  1. High Availability. You need to achieve 99.99+% availability.
  2. You have multiple independent servers that are underutilized leading to owning far more CPU licenses than would be required by server consolidation.
  3. The support agreements on large boxes (more than 4 CPUs per server) are costing more than RAC licenses (often the case).
  4. The infrastructure needs will start out small, we only need 2 or 4 CPUS but are anticipated to grow over a period of several years such that new, more expensive, hardware will be required. -- Daniel A. Morgan http://www.psoug.org damorgan_at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)