Re: Conversion to RAC/QFS

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:43:57 -0800

adnan501_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> We are planning to convert to RAC on our E6900 Cluster. It is on
> Solaris 9 and Sun Cluster Server 3.1. Apparently, we can't use VxFS and
> VxVM and SC3.1 with RAC as RAC requires raw devices. Sun PS is
> suggesting that we either go with VCS combo or if we want to keep SC3.1
> then we need to convert to QFS. Problem with that is we need to backup
> and restore and that would require downtimne for our DB as it is 1.3TB
> in size. It's a pity we can't go to VCS since we have SC3.1 running on
> 6 other clusters and this will defy the environment standards, etc.
>
> Is there a way where I can go to QFS (or not use it) with rest of the
> varibles being same such as Solaris 9, VxFS/VxVM?
>
> Any help/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> -Adnan

If you can possibly go to Oracle 10.2 I would urge you to do so, use Oracle's clusterware, and dump the extra overhead and cost of all of the components you mention.

Also, 10.2 RAC is a huge improvement over previous versions. Far easier to install. Far easier to monitor. Far easier to manage.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org